Thursday, February 19, 2009

FARTHEST RUN EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I've been a total slacker about blogging because all of my freetime has been spent skiing or doing grad school applications but those are finally over!!!!

So last Saturday the weather was really unpredictable, it went from blizzard to sunshine to blizzard to overcast.  I opted not to try and run outside and instead went to the gym and hopped on a treadmill.  I ended up doing 4.5 miles on the treadmill and HATED IT!  I'm sorry to those of you who are treadmill lovers but I loathe them.  I can handle them for sprint or interval workouts but long runs make me wanna scream.  It's amazing too because at my gym all the treadmills have little TV's on them so you can plug in your headphones and watch whatever you want.  I managed to find Cliffhanger on TBS and thought that'd be a great distraction.  I love that movie but it didn't do squat to keep my mind occupied.  It was a painful 4.5 miles, I am so ADD on the treadmill it's not even funny.  I never feel like I can set my own pace either cause I have to go certain speed and  I can't adjust based on how my body feels. I was trying to think of other things I could put in front of me on the treadmill to motivate me and I don't even think a hot guy would do it...hmmm too bad!

The past month my friends and I have been going to Yoga class on Tuesday and it's been really nice as a cross train for my running.  I know that the more flexible and strong my body is the better it will handle the running training.  This past Tuesday we did timings, that's were we had to hold poses for a minute.  We did it for 20 minutes and I was sweating by the end but I was pleased with how strong I felt.

Then today I finally had time to go for a long run, I started out and told myself, "Today is the day you will run the longest you've ever run."  I didn't know if I could actually do it but I felt pretty good.  I did my normal 5 mile loop and kept reminding myself that on the way out I go down in elevation and on the way back I have to climb a bit.  I felt surprisingly good when I hit the 5  mile mark so I knew I had to go for it.  Man I had the best mental dialogue going on.  I defiantly slowed down in the last mile but at this point who cares about speed?  I stopped into work with a HUGE smile on my face to get some water and then finished out my run.  On the pedometer it says 6.95 miles but whatever I did 7 miles!!!!!!! The farthest I've ever run in my whole life!!!!!  I'm so excited and exhausted but I feel like I'm back on track.  

Now I can relax and enjoy Shannon and Jocelyn's visit tomorrow!!!  We're defiantly going to be active and have tons of fun!  I would never have survived this past year without these two people and I can not wait to show them this episode of my life.  So hurry up Vegan and Sumara!!!!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I'm coming! I'm not going to fly though, I am just going to run to you! hehehehe
that is SOOOOO amazing! 7 miles? Holy crap am I proud of you! You are amazing. So great! And good for you for doing Yoga. I have to start that up soon.
I agree that the treadmill can get really boring. I normally put a towel or something up over the distance and numbers because that distances me and I end up thinking "how much do I have to go? I'm never going to finish" instead of "wow this feels good."
:) you are awesome! Cannot wait to see you tomorrow!!!! I couldn't have made it this past year with out you either!

Jocelyn said...

I mean "because seeing that distance makes me think "how much do I have to go...."
I was so excited for you I wrote two different thoughts!