Monday, October 20, 2008

My Turn

Shannon's had her hip problems, Jocelyn her knee and shin splint problems so I guess it's my turn to have an injury.  I rested Saturday and then Sunday I planned on running.  After church I was working on something and then all of sudden I had pain in my back.  I can't tilt my head to the right or turn it all the way to the right or tilt it all the way back without pain.  This has happened to me before once, about 3 years ago during RA training at RIT.  I got this sharp pain in my back and I couldn't move my head.  It really freaked me out and I felt really dizzy all day so finally I went to the ER that night.  They told me that I had strained a muscle in my back and gave me a  muscle relaxer.  Looks like I've managed to do the same thing again.  I have no idea how this happens but I'm guessing it has something to do with not enough stretching and poor posture (that's my theory at least).  I wanted to swim today but the problem is that the pain is on my breathing side so I don't think that yelping in pain is going to do me much good when I'm supposed to be breathing.

I am trying ice and heat on it to see what works best and taking advil.  I am going to try and run later today and see if that will loosen it up.  If it's painful I won't keep running.  I hate being injured, hate it hate it hate it!  I need to get over that though cause with what we're planning on doing there is bound to be other pulls and strains along the way.

But hey way to go Shannon and Jocelyn!  Shannon had a great weekend with some longer runs and Jocelyn ran 1 mile in 10 minutes no walking!  Way to go girls!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

You were feeling left out, weren't you? Its ok, you can be part of club Shannon and I started. Initiation is tomorrow night.
Sharp pain ice...dull pain heat. Hopefully you can just take some Advil and get you back to relax. Hope baths too! Massages! That same thing happened to me during work - I couldn't move my back at all, I couldn't even cross my legs. I've been going to the Chiropractor ever since.