Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shakey Arms

Knowing that Shannon and Jocelyn were both planning on early morning workouts I knew I had to also. So last night I got everything ready I packed my clothes for work, got my shower stuff and laid out my workout clothes. My alarm went off at 6am and I had 10 minutes to put on my clothes and make my bed in order to catch the BART to Daly City. I was tempted to just say, "oh sleep is no nice..." but I saw two emails on my phone, one from Jocelyn, "I did it! Got up and ran!" and the other from Shannon, "Me too!" Damn you two! ;-)
Then I turned to my right and there were all my workout clothes, ok no excuses let's do this!

I got to the train in plenty of time and proceeded to read my Backpacker Magazine, all about the deadliest hikes and survivor stories, for the 45 minute ride to Daly City. From there I walked 10 minutes to the gym. I dropped my stuff in a locker and hopped on a treadmill for about 5 minutes. A couple years ago I was watching something and a personal trainer talked about what he thought the best course for weight training is. He said warm up on a cardio machine for 5 minutes, running/jogging to get your heartrate up then do your lifting. If you want more cardio you should do it after your lifting. I'm interested in endurance sports not sadomasocism buddy!


Here's the 45 minute lifting session I did,

  • 10 Reps Step ups on an Aerobic step w/2 sets of steps w/10lb dumbells in each hand
  • Immediately following I do 10 reps of squats w/bicep curls
  • 30 second rest total of 3 sets
  • 10 Reps of seated bicep curls + 10 Reps Overhead Presses 12lb dumbells x 3 Sets
  • 10 Reps overhead Tricep + 10 Reps Chest Press 12lb dumbells x3 Sets
  • 10 Reps Leg Press w/2 45lb weights x 3 Sets
  • 10 Reps of Hanging Leg Lifts x 2 Sets
  • 10 Reps of Roll-ins x 3 Sets (This is by far one of my favorite Ab Exercises!)

Here's how to do the Roll-ins:

Advanced Stability Ball Abdominal Exercises:Roll-ins
This is a popular stability ball abdominal exercise. It's usually one of the first that I teach my clients once they have mastered crunches on the ball and regular push ups.
This exercise requires good to above average upper body strength. If you can do 10 or more push ups, you should be able to hold your body in position during this exercise.

Starting Position: From a push up position, place your feet on the ball. Keep your arms straight and your abs pulled in. Form: Keeping your abs engaged, bring your knees towards your chest. Hold for 1 second, and then slowly return to the starting position.

Personal Trainer Tips: Getting into the starting position can be the toughest part of this exercise. If you cannot hold yourself in the push up position and place your feet on the ball, start by lying with your stomach on the ball and walk your hands forward until your legs are on the ball. The further you roll out the more challenging the exercise becomes. The most challenging position is with the toes on the ball.You must have good upper body strength to perform this exercise. If you can perform a few push-ups, you should be able to hold yourself in the start position. Also, you must keep your abs pulled in as you extend your legs so that your back does not arch.





Now needless to say at the end of this workout my arms were tired! So I hit the showers and while I was trying to dry my hair my arms began to shake. That's how you know you've worked a muscle group I guess!

2 comments:

shannon said...

w00t! now try doing a complete roll-in alternating with a push up for 10 reps!

i watched some girl at the gym do that and i was in awe. then i went home and tried it & almost died. just kidding. but it was a challenge lol

Jocelyn said...

SEXY!!! can I have a ball? I have one at home, I will have to get my mom to give me it when I come home for Thanksgiving.
Good work out!! :D You are awesome